Friday, September 14, 2012

Macedonia

It was with heavy hearts, and somewhat empty stomachs, that we headed out of Bulgaria and on to Ohrid, Macedonia.  We spent the night in Sofia and were up early for the 6-hour drive to Ohrid.  In terms of food, we had no idea what to expect.  We were really very surprised.  Our first stop, after the ATM and walking up the three floors several times with our luggage was a bar, the Royal View.  They had a fantastic view of the lake, and as it turns out, a really good breakfast.  I tried the local beer and Lynn got a local wine.  Both were good choices.  I've said it before and I will continue to say it until I am proven very wrong, but local drinks are always a good choice.  At least with beer.  Don't go to Ukraine and expect fantastic wine.  They just don't drink it.  Since I had read that Macedonia, Albania and Montenegro (see next two posts) had good wines, why not?



After drinks, we headed to Hotel Tino for dinner.  We got a very good local red wine that was a surprise since they didn't have our first choice.


As is the usual M.O. over here, we were starving when we sat down, so of course, we ordered way to much.  I started with the baked broccoli.  I like anything (well, almost anything) that is coated with cheese and cream.  This broccoli was no different.  It is the only way that I will now eat broccoli, assuming that I have it in me to coat it with becheamel and cheese, then bake.  Check back to see if I ever get that done.  Of course, Lynn got a salad, which was just what was needed.  Interesting fact: in Macedonia, they don't do dressing.  They will serve oil and vinegar on the side to everyone.  My kind of country.  



I braved it and got a steak with fried onions.  My first hope in this was when I was asked how I wanted it done.  Now, in the past month or so, when steak has been ordered, they do not ask how you want it done.  This was hope!  Lynn opted for the grilled calamari.  I think I won the food war here.  The steak was so thick that it would have made a Texan proud.  And happy.  Both of which I was.  The fried onions were...just amazing.  I was informed that the calamari was very good.  The only draw back was that a lot of salt was used.  However, I over looked it for the above stated facts.  My only regret is that I didn't finish it all.




St. John's- the most photographed place in Macedonia.  And, also, a Bing background one day.





We had a walking tour the next day and after said tour, we were starving.  It was pretty hot there and walking up many, many hills can get a girl's hunger up.  Our guide dropped us off at a restaurant on the water and on Kosta Abras.  I have no idea what it was called (maybe Dalga?).  The result was great food that made us stuffed.  We started with a stuffed, fried pancake (stuffed with cheese and ham) and a roasted red pepper dip with beans.  Both were fantastic.  This was followed by stuffed peppers for me and stuffed squash for Lynn.  Again, fantastic.



The next day, we headed to Sv. Naum, close to the Albanian border.  We ate some trout there- fresh from the lake and hot off the grill.  Don't worry.  It wasn't the endangered Ohrid trout.  The secenery was the realy find though.  Featured at Sv. Naum is the source of water for Lake Ohrid.  The water for Lake Ohrid actually comes from Lake Prespa and is filtered down since Prespa is about 150 m above Ohrid.  Learning...it's just not for school.



After Sv. Naum, we headed out the next day to Struga (which, after this blog, we will never mention again).  We couldn't find anything we wanted to see, so we saw some lunch.  We got the breaded cheese and a mixed salad.  Both were good.  You just can't go wrong with a salad.  Well, maybe you can.  If you do go wrong, please don't let me know about it.


Sunset on Lake Ohrid.


My view from the little swimming dock, where I thought it would be the BEST IDEA EVER to jump into the 50 degree lake.  At least I could see the bottom and it was freshwater.  Not that freshwater at 50 is any better than salt, but I didn't feel salty after said swim.  That was a plus.







For our last meal in Macedonia, we headed to Taverna Momir.  We had a great view out onto the lake and great food to top it off.  We started with the Macedonian salad- tomatoes, roasted green peppers, parsley and shit loads of garlic.  This was accompanied by bread with garlic spread.  Garlic spread being garlic that is turned into paste with the help of a little salt.  There were no vampires that night!  Lynn and I got pork/veal with mushrooms.  Both were very good and the sauce was great.  The mushrooms needed a little TLC, but what can you do.  We had a great bottle of local white wine and some great conversation.  We finished off the night with baklava and pancakes with nuts.  Both were good.

Overall, we were very surprised with the food in Macedonia.  I mean, after a month of let-downs, it's great to find some food that is not only edible, but also well prepared.  Stay tuned for the adventures of Albania and what I did for my birthday!  YAY!  Birthday!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment